Thursday, April 7, 2011

I've had this song in my head for the past week......

Remember Gil Scott-Heron??  This song is off his old 2010 album "I'm New Here".  It really clicks with so much of the craziness happening right now. I've admired him since I was a kid in the 70's. I'm so glad he's still around and creating socially and politically-charged poetry and music.  I still love, love, LOVE this video. Really makes me think of how awesome the medium of "music videos" can be when done well. It doesn't always have to kill the radio star/musicians. As works of art -- instead of a 3 minute montage of fake hair, flashy clothes picked out by a squad of stylists, self-conscious posing and yet another simulated-sex dance sequence -- they can be so inspiring and powerful. This vid really makes me miss NYC. Wish I could pull out my old Powell board and roll with them to Washington Square Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment