Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thoughts about "the R-word" (REVOLUTION)...and the 40th Anniversary of the Attica Prison Rebellion...

Can I just say how much I've respected Cornel West over the past 30 plus years?? His voice has always been a steady stream of dignity, integrity and powerful discourse on the effects of imperialism, colonialism, and all forms of discrimination and corporate domination. I just mentioned this to a dear friend earlier today, but it feels like there are glimmers of hope shining through the acrid smoke and ash we're all engulfed in right now. I've been thinking so much about what's happening with the Wall Street protests and the calls for revolution.  I never imagined we would be living in times like these.  Where "union" has become a dirty, despised word.  Where a president, who showed such promise, determination and (dare I say it) "change and hope"...has surrounded himself with the same Wall Street cronies and corporate elites like so many presidents before him.  The rich, wealthy and corrupt are kept safe while the people languish and suffer.  I feel like I'm stuck on the old "Tilt-a-Whirl" ride at Coney Island -- but it's broken and just keeps everyone stuck in the same jerky, spiraling, endless motions.  I know I'm not the only one who's puking her guts out and wants this fucked up ride to end. 























CLick for the incredible Democracy Now! segment highlighting Dr. West's speech on the 40th Anniversary of Attica:


And here's a little Nina Simone to stir the soul:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment