Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dear Amy....

So young with so many possibilities. It's beyond a shame. A part of me held a bit of hope for her...to see her grow older and finally find her footing on a straight, sober path. I definitely have my issues about the wave of Brit girls doing their versions of "classic soul" over the past decade -- while African-American singers doing the same style of "classic soul" have been horribly over-looked, particularly Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (there's a sad irony that the Dap-Kings were the band who sat-in with Amy on the Back to Black album and helped her score such a phenomenal record). In my eyes, Amy was lightyears away from Joss, Adele, Duffy and the like. There was a depth and sharp emotional edge to her voice, no doubt because her art was truly imitating her life, but also because the deeply entrenched musical background she had in jazz, blues and soul.

With all of the awful, brutal performance vids that have been circulating about her lately from her most recent difficulties during her last tour several weeks ago, the video below is one of my absolute favorite live performances she did several years ago of a song I really loved from the Back to Black album -- it's the title song. The entire album was very well done, thanks again in huge part to the Dap-Kings, but Amy really seemed to find herself...much more than what she did on Frank. I know so many people really jammed to Rehab and laughed a lot at her for how closely her life shadowed the song, but, for me, the title song, Back to Black, along with You Know I'm No Good, Love is A Losing Game and Tears Dry On Their Own were my favorite songs on the album. They touched real chords for me and made me take notice of her voice. I mean, here was this little Brit girl singing these deeply soulful songs fit for seasoned, mature soul singers twice her age. This kid really had a gift.

Rest well, Amy. I hope you find the peace you deserved in this life and never ever have to struggle again with the demons you battled here xOxOx

No comments:

Post a Comment